Saturday, December 14, 2013

Frankfurt: Christmas Market 1

Season's Greetings-

Welcome from Frankfurt! Let's get down to business!

We left Dulles yesterday evening at 5:15 pm… it was a relatively good flight. We got Subway to take on the plane so I did not have to eat the nauseating airline food. I ate my sammich and turned on 21 Jump Street. I have seen this movie numerous times and still laugh hysterically when Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are bike cops. I was laughing so hard I think I woke up some other people on the flight.

Then, I tried the difficult job of sleeping in an Economy Plus seat. I tried twisting and contorting into multiple shapes but nothing worked. I slept maybe two hours. Then, a continental breakfast came out consisting of a stale croissant and a little fruit cup. So, out came my own muffins from my backpack. I was set.

We arrived at 6:30 am this morning (12:30 am at home). It was pitch-black in Germany and I was delirious. We decided to check in at the Hilton and see if perhaps… maybe… our room might be ready. Guess what?!?! It was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy. We checked in and I crashed! We slept for 4 hours, showered, and set out into town. The temperature here is quite lovely- in the upper 30's and perfect for wandering in a big, puffy coat with a giant scarf.

We wandered the streets. I would compare Frankfurt to a calmer Washington, D.C. I like the feel of the city- the people are friendly… and there are CHRISTMAS MARKETS GALORE!

So, the markets have: ornaments, beeswax candles, hand painted crafts, BAZILLIONS OF GINGERBREAD COOKIES, warm Apfelwein (Apple Wine) and gludwein (warm wine), sausages upon sausages, sauerkraut, potatoes, cotton candy, hand painted cups, giant pretzels, chocolate covered everything, you name it!

We had Pizza Hut for lunch… a nice cheap alternative. There is a Pizza Hut stand and for 3 euros you can get a slice and a Coke. We sat in the cold and ate. I people-watched. No one wears Uggs here… it's kind of disconcerting…

Anywho… then we wandered to Starbucks (there is one on every street corner Sarah Bailey!!!!!!!!!). NO PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE THOUGH… it's shameful. I had to settle for a Caramel Hot Chocolate. It sufficed.

We began our wandering trek through the Christmas markets. I tried the Apfelwein… it is a very, very bitter apple cider. If you like wine and apple cider, you would love this drink. As for me, my go-to drink is a Bay Breeze so it didn't do it for me… and that's ok.

I tried a fluffy Gingerbread square… it's jet-puffed! Very spicy with hardened icing on top. It was quite tasty with my hot chocolate.

For dinner, we tried local favorites from the Christmas Market stalls. I had fried potato pancakes with a side of applesauce to dip them in. These are delicious… crispy, garlicy, oniony, and dipped in the stark contrast that is cold applesauce. I ate three of these giant gems. Mmmmmmmm.

Petey ate a giant bratwurst and a steak sandwich. I tried the Bratwurst… the flavor of the meat was wood-fired. It was quite delicious but I would have preferred to have smothered sauerkraut on top.

I ended my evening eating a Nutella crepe, hot off the griddle. It was perfectly cooked, doughy pancake, and the exact right amount of Nutella. OMG.

Now it is time to retire to the hotel. We have an early morning tomorrow… picking up our rental car, driving to Rothenburg's Christmas Market, seeing the Disney Castle, and onward to Munich. Tomorrow, the real hunt and purchase of tacky Christmas souvenirs begins.

Love to all,
KT and PD




1 comment:

  1. What?!? No pumpkin spice lattes? You should have gotten on the plane and come right back home at that point. :P

    ReplyDelete